Thursday, September 23, 2010

Continued Game Plan

In my previous post I stated that I needed to focus on modeling digital age work and learning (www.iste.org). I also said that I needs to develop my understanding of digital citizenship and responsibility. These two goals seem to go hand in hand, in that, if and when I begin to integrate more technology into the classes that I teach I will also educate students about the responsibilities that go along with using available technology. If I can meet these goals and get to a point that I am completely comfortable with all available technologies, then I will have the tools to reach all types of learning styles while promoting technology in a time that is often referred to as the "digital age".

The very first thing that I need to do to meet my first goal is to become completely familiar with all of the technology that is available to me in my district. The Internet, Smart Boards, ipads, ipods, spread sheet programs, and digital heart rate monitors are a few that I know about, however, I have not used them all. Smart boards are things that I have no experience with. They sound like one of the greatest additions to the classroom, but I simply have not been exposed to them, as I am in a swimming pool environment all day. This summer I taught elementary physical education and had the opportunity to see a smart board in action for the first time and loved it. Some of the classroom teachers were kind enough to let me play with the boards a bit, and they helped me understand quite a bit. Since the Aquatic Center that I work in is separate from any schools I do not have many opportunities to learn from teachers who use the technology each day. My second step in meeting the first goal will be to communicate with educators in my district about what they use and what is successful for them. Coworkers who have been through the struggles of learning new strategies can ease the growing pains for new teachers who need a bit of guidance. One more thing that I want to do is research via the Internet what other districts throughout the country use as teaching aids. Fortunately, I am in a program that has several of these teachers who have been very helpful thus far in providing guidance and feedback.

To meet my second goal of modeling digital citizenship and responsibility, I will rely on web research and coworkers as well. The thing about this goal that is a bit different from the previous is that I will be expected to use more of my own knowledge and common sense. I will take on the task of developing a list of web sites that discuss etiquette in technology and inform students of expectations as I develop a better understanding. With each new bit of technology that I introduce I will have researched etiquette prior in order to set a standard from day one.

7 comments:

  1. Josh,
    Wow! You are the perfect example of why we need to be self directed learners. Do you have a technology integration office within your district? They might be able to offer you some ideas or at least steer you in the right direction. I have an interactive white board in my classroom, and I absolutely love it. There might be some cool ways you could integrate the use of flip cams within your curriculum as well.
    Anyway that you can integrate technology in a meaningful way is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am assuming that you teach multiple grade levels because you teach physical education. Does this become difficult when thinking of ways to incorporate technology? I am specifically thinking about teaching the students about etiquette in technology and digital age citizenship. I teach first graders and I am often nervous to have them explore online because they are very young and so much content could potentially be inappropriate. I have spoke with teachers in the upper-elementary who are not as nervous about this issue. On the other hand, their students are able to explore and do more with technology, which may get them into some trouble. I guess both situations have unique pros and cons. Again, do you have any thought into how to teach internet etiquette to different age groups? It sounds like you have a lot of great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh,
    Smart boards are amazing! My students are juniors and seniors in high school, and they love them just as much as the 1st graders do! I can see how being a physical education teacher, you probably are not on the top of the list to get a Smart Board, but that does not mean you have to cancel out technology! (It does not sound like you are!)

    Did you ever have your students play on the Wii for gym class? We did that with my summer school students this summer and they loved it! Plus it is very active!

    Also, you can have your students blog. For this, you really don't even have to have them complete this in school... This can be their 'homework' for gym. I started this with my students and at first they thought it was 'stupid' but after they got started and were able to design their blog, I was quickly receiving comments such as, "This is like a really cool facebook!" And now they love it!

    If you do decide to have a class blog, I suggest blogspot.com for the students, it seems very user friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Josh,

    After reading your continued plan, I really think you are going to be the perfect example of how to integrate technology in the classroom without being in the classroom for the biggest part of the day. Do you have a technology teacher that can be of assistance to you? At my school, we have the ipods and the Smart Boards, but I wish we had the ipads as well. I do believe your co-workers are going to be vital part in your success with this project. Good Luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh,

    Co-workers are wonderful resources. It was great that those teachers would let you play with the smartboard. I would love to have one myself but I am not sure if or when I will get one. I have found our technology people and our media center to be a great resource for technology. The woman who works in the media center is always up on new websites and how they can be used.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katey,

    Not only do I teach different grade levels (1-9), but I See a different school every 10 days. I actually teach the aquatic unit of p.e. to all students in my district along with 4 other p.e. teachers. Not only is a swimming pool a poor environment for technology, but I am having a hard time figuring out how I can incorporate it into the small window of time that I see each group of students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do have a long way to go in learning what is available to me in my school district, but I have learned some good things from everyone's comments and their blogs.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete