Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Relating Game Plan to Students

Now I need to connect everything that I have planned for myself to the students that I teach. After all, the students should be the most important variable in an educator's plan for improvement. I do think that in developing my game plan that I have had the best interest of my students in mind throughout the entire process. I cannot see how technology could hurt the progress of students in physical activity if that technology is used in ways that help educate students about why they are doing things and how those things may be benificial.

So far the focus of my game plan has been to meet National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers (NETS-T). Now I will shift some of the focus to the National Educational Technology Standards for Students (NETS-S). Both may be found at http://www.iste.org/. So, how do the two standards that I have been working towards, relate to the standards set for students? The fourth standard for students is Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making. In this standard students are expected to

a. identify and define authentic problems and signifigant questions for investigation.

b. plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project

c. collect and analyze data to identify solutions and/or make informed decisions

d. use multiple processes and diverseperspectives to explore alternative solutions

This standard fits pretty well with my first goal to educate students of the trend reguarding overweight youth and the innactive lifestyles that they are living. Students will be expected to develop a personal fitness plan to fit their personal needs and record data such as fat percentage, weight, muscular strength, and cardiovascular endurance. I have also decided to follow up with a lesson that includes a blog page in which students will communicate with peers annonomously about things that did and didn't work and things that they did and didn't like. These activities, if they work as planned, should meet the needs of the students and fall under the standard set by the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE).

My second goal to continue to incorporate different technologies in physical education could technically fall under several of the student standards, but standards one (Creativity and Innovation) and six (Technology Operations and Concepts) seem to be especially fitting. In these standard students are asked to use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues (1-c), understand and use technology systems (6-a), and transfer current knowledge to learning of new technologies (6-d). The more technology that is introduced to students the further their knowledge will take them in education. Through this entire process I have decided that my main goal is to present my students with as many oportunities as possible in order to help them gain knowledge and put that knowledge to use in the technological world that we all live in.

References:

National Educational Technology Standards for Students (NETS-S) located at http://www.iste.org/.

5 comments:

  1. I think the goals you set for yourself are great. There are not too many, and they seem manageable! I feel you have set benchmarks and ways of accomplishing your goals that you will be able to carry out what you planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    You are so right when you say that technology will help our students obtain more knowledge. Through these various technologies, we are making their learning more authentic, engaging, and meaningful. We give them experiences that their brains can make more connections to, which gives their brains easier access to that knowledge. So I agree, teachers should give their students as many opportunities to work with these resources as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh,

    I think that you will be successful in accomplishing your goals and that your students will appreciate your efforts. This week’s focus on digital storytelling got me thinking about how you could use this strategy in your physical education classes, I have come up with two suggestions:

    1) Students could create a digital story on a sport, depicting how it has evolved over the years and
    2) Because physical education also deals with the different systems of the body, students could create a digital story on the functions of a system e.g. respiratory system.

    Continue to aspire to create a change in the lives of your students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh, I think your goals are dead on. You are putting the tools in their hands to identify their problem, find solutions, and follow through and make the necessary changes. You are empowering them to be able to help themselves - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh,
    You have great goals. As I was reading about how you would have the students develop a fitness plan I thought what a great tool which they can use for the rest of their life. With obesity being a major problem in the United States (myself included) this would provide a great opportunity in helping to prevent obesity and to increase healthy living.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete